Thursday, December 6, 2007

Day's come with ups and downs

I got in my run, my foot wasn't to bad as long as I stay in my orthotics. After my weight and core work I did another straight run for 45min, this time at 6miles/hr then stepped it down to 5mi/hr for 10 min and walked out the rest, for a total of just over an 1hr on the mill.

I went down to the pool to go for my cool down fun swim and as I got to the locker room I hear a commotion, I quickly go to the showers where the commotion is and there laying on the shower floor having a heart attack is my old high school PHE teacher Bob Wilson who I have talked about before on Mile 141. He was in v-fib, (he was known to have a heart condition, at least I knew about it?) and was taking meds for his heart. At the time I got there, their were 3 lifeguards working on him including the director of pool operations who teaches the first aid and CPR classes in Barrie. They had one of those portable de-fibulator attached to him and were preforming CPR. This was the first time I have seen how those potable de-fibs work in action, very cool to see, it takes all the guess work out of resuscitation. and now I know how great they work, as in my first aid classes I've taken, we were shown how to use it without really having it on and working.

While that was going on, they didn't know who the patient was and as I got there and saw it was my friend/ teacher Bob Wilson, I immediately told one of the lifeguards standing by taking down information it was Bob Wilson. I also told the lifeguard his wife is in the other change room and that Bob had a heart condition and was taking meds for it.

While in v-fib one guy was doing the Cpr on Bob, the other guy gave mouth to mouth when needed, all the while the de-fib machine takes the vitals telling each person to go on or stop, Bob was still breathing on his own off and on at times but unconscious, After about 5-8 min of working on him and zapping him a couple of times to get his heart back in rhythm they finally got a reactive pulse with him breathing on his own but still unconscious. The paramedics arrives just as they got Bobs vitals and the paramedics took over to take him to the hospital.

I then went out with the lifeguard who earlier got hold of Mrs Wilson to talk to her,( who I also knew, as she was a PHE teacher at my wife's high school to, it's a small world and have been friends with.) The first thing she asked me was? was bob gone? I calmed her down and told her everything is under control, that they got his vitals back and has a pulse and the paramedics are here taking care of him, getting him ready to go to the hospital. She asked me if I knew his locker as she needs his wallet and car keys. I told her I knew where his locker was and I need to find his key. At that time I went back to check how Bob was doing in the showers and to look for his locker key which were in swim pants hanging on a hook. I took all his clothing and stuff and packed it into his sport bag along with his coat which had his wallet and key in and gave it to Mrs Wilson's Daughter who was outside the locker waiting.

I think and hope Bob will make it, things look promising as the lifeguards got to him fast and the fact that our Rec Center has those portable de-fib machines may have saved his life today!!.... I also have to commend the efforts of the lifeguards today in doing a great job in Reviving Bob. Well done!.

No comments: