Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wasaga beach Tri and CPR

The day started good. I woke up at 5am made my coffee and got my gear together. I still hadn't decided to do the tri so I said to myself, if I can fit my bike into my new car I will do the Tri a tri. Well my bike didn't fit! and I didn't want to put the bike rack on my car because I couldn't lock my bike on it while I was away from my car. If I could have fit in in the car? then I could leave my bike locked in the car while I roamed. Anyway, I said the heck with it, I'll just volley.

It takes me about 30min to drive to Wasaga beach. It was a beautiful morning, with a little chill in the morning air and mist/fog in some area's on route to the beach. When I got there there were people already buzzing around. I went to the registration tent and said, HERE I AM! I"M READY TO VOLUNTEER! and the woman there said, GREAT! She gave me a Volley t-shirt and set me up in transition to help people with questions. After things died down and the race was about to start I went down to the water exit for crowd control. I couldn't believe how calm the water was and what great weather we were getting. You know we've had a rotten summer! But this Month of September has been perfect!

After the last swimmer in the sprint race was out of the water I went up to the finish line to help out with handing out water to the racers as they had there timing chips taken off at the finish. All went smooth.

In the mean time the Olympic race was starting. After the last Sprinter finished we had about an hour to set up the finish line with more water and Hammer drinks as they were in cups.

The racers started coming in from the Olympic race and all was fine and going well, until one racer was taking a drink at the end of my table and started to lean forward and knocked the table a bit. I turned to see whats going on as I saw the table move. Then he started to slump forward and I jumped over to catch him as he was falling face first into the table. I then grabbed him as he was convulsing and laid him down while protecting his head, I then turned him on his side in the prone position as he was convulsing. In the mean time a paramedic came and checked for vitals and pulse as I was, and said there is no pulse. We turned him over on to his back where the paramedic started CPR. at the same time another person was trying to resuscitate with a manual resuscitator that covers the mouth and nose and give him air, but it seamed the airway was blocked. Then the paramedic asked me if I know CPR and to take over which I did, doing compression in 30 pump cycles the they would give air in between. Another paramedic arrived and attached the defibrillator patches while I was doing the CPR and then on the 30 cycle they shocked him. It did not start his heart up. I continued CPR and then we put him on a wood back board to get the man ( Matthew Tatham, I can state his name now as it has been published ) away from any water on the ground so they could shock him again. Then they tried again with the defibrillator and still no pulse.

At this time the ambulance arrived within 10 mins and some more paramedics arrived with one of them taking my place as I stepped aside to let the pros do there thing. They continued CPR and Matthew Tatham was lifted onto the stretcher and taking to the ambulance and taking to the local hospital.

As I looked on after Matt was taken to the hospital, I saw John Salt the race director talking with the police and a freind of Matts shedding some tears. It's nice to know how much concern he had for Matt in hopes he will survive. I know how hard John worked to keep things moving along, making sure we had room to work and getting vital information for the medics about Matt, finding out if any family or friends who knew him were around? etc.

I went back to work at the finish line after the police took my report of what happened.

After a while I had enough and the race was winding down as the Tri a Tri race was gearing up, so I went to meet my friends who where racing and having some beers at the pub along the strip. NO I didn't have any beers! I'm still staying sober. :) After a half hour or so we all went home.


As I am writing this I was watching the news to hear some news about the man. I'm sorry to say I just heard the man did not survive and was pronounced dead. :(


Sept 13, 2009...

This from the HSBC Triathlon site today http://www.hsbctriathlon.com/ms/index.cfm
Wasaga Beach September 12, 2009On Saturday September 12, 2009 Matthew Tatham completed the Olympic Distance Triathlon finishing 1st in his age group and 40th overall in a field of 294 athletes. Matt collapsed just past the finish line and while paramedics were with him immediately, he passed away 35 minutes later at Collingwood General and Marine Hospital. We want to pass on our condolences and deepest sympathies to Matt's family and friends.




Here are some pictures of the day..... Sorry again they are in reverse order.


Some boats on Georgian bay ( Wasaga beach )




Looking out from the upstairs patio bar.
Looking out the other side towards the swim in and out and the finish chute.
The line of Tri a tri's walking out of the water because it's to shallow to swim.
My friends who raced, in orange Doug, then Jim and Paul in front.
Paul coming in the finish.
Jim making the corner to the bike dismount.

People streaming out of the water to swim finish.
The first wave start.
People getting ready for the start of the race.
People gathering on the beach at the swim start and exit.

Swim exit up the beach to T1 Up and around the building on the left.
Life guard meeting before the race.
Kayaks and calm water before the race.
Early morning getting the buoy markers out.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing all that you did for Matt. Matt was a truly wonderful man who will be dearly missed. It is so comforting to find out that he had you and the paramedics with him immediately. I really am grateful for this. Truly thanks.

kellybelly said...

I did my first tri in Wasaga in the Give-It-A-Tri division. I walked past you taking to a police officer, and watched the ambulance leave. I didn't put two and two together at the time. I was just anxious for my race. I'm not sure that I still would have done it, had I known what happened.
Awesome job for being there, and trying your best to save Matt. The second tri death in Canada this year. :-( Scary!

Josef said...

Anonymous,

Thank you. I only wish the out come were different.


KellyBelly,

Thank you.

Don't let Matts death discourage you in doing tri's. Congrats on your first Tri. I hope you had a good time and will do it again and again.

Anonymous said...

Bill Jones

I have worked with Matt for many years but more closley for the last two. Having doen triathlons myself i know how much work goes into the prep. Matt was a dedicated professional who always prepared. He was a great guy whose presence in a crowd of others was like a light in the dark room. He just had that type of charisma.

Matt you will be very much missed

Anonymous said...

fAs Matt's twice weekly training partner and travel buddy - we spent 2 weeks in Denmark racing and cycling in August - its comforting for me to know about the efforts to save him.
When its my turn to go, I want it to be the same way as Matt: after I crossed the finish line.
Thank you,
Scott

slowrunner said...

thankyou so much for trying to save matt. he truly was a special and unique individual. the whole running community will miss him deeply.
kendra

Anonymous said...

TATHAM, Charles Matheson (Matt)
November 21, 1957 – September 12, 2009

Suddenly upon completion of the Wasaga Beach triathalon. Aged 51 years.
Born in Woodstock, Ontario and a graduate of Woodstock Collegiate Institute, Matt worked in a bakery part time during high school, played football and went to the Ontario finals in wrestling. He graduated from the University of Guelph with a degree in Food Science and started his career at Marks and Spencer with responsibility for cakes and cookies. He prospered over the next 25 years to become one of the most respected professionals in the bakery business in North America and was enjoying great success as Business Manager at Nealanders International Inc.
Matt was a Masters World Champion triathlete who successfully defended his title in Copenhagen this year. He much enjoyed his running club, triathlons, trail running and cycling. Matt was an ardent gardener and horticultural society award winner, who grew his own hops to brew his own beer. His extensive world travels included two years on a bicycle in Europe and Asia, five months on a kibbutz in Israel, as well as trips to Iceland, India, Machu Picchu, and the Pacific Coast Trail. He also enjoyed an annual winter ski trip with his brothers that over the years covered most of the best ski destinations in western Canada. A skilled photographer, his other hobbies included audio recording, composing and performing his own music, stamp collecting, and making, flying and fighting kites.
Matt lived each and every day to the fullest. His positive nature and upbeat attitude as a self described ''student of life'' was truly inspirational to everyone who knew him. He is survived by his companion of 24 years, John LaRocque and his parents, Sid and Marnie Tatham of Woodstock. He will be sorely missed by his 5 siblings: Robin, Paul (Nancy), Bill (Janna), Mary Ellen Rennie (Dan), and Ian (Edie) as well as his 12 nieces and nephews.
A service to celebrate his life will be held Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. with visitation on Friday September 18, from 6 to 8 p.m. as well as 1 hour prior to the service at the Morley Bedford Funeral Home, 159 Eglinton Avenue West, Toronto, 416 489-8733. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the War Resisters Support Campaign (www.resisters.ca).

Josef said...

Thankyou for that.

I posted your comment on Matts life and services on my blog.