Thursday, October 15, 2009

Running chi waa waa

Yesterday I tried something different. I read about chi running and mid foot running, running more efficiently, etc. ...So I thought I would give it a try to see if I can do it, or if it's any easier. Well all I can say is I now know why it's called "chi running?" because after you run! you say; Chi that was hard on my quads!!

All kidding aside, I can see how in time this method of running will suit me. It's just a matter of time and getting used to the leaning forward and running more on the mid foot. I had to stop about 5 times along the way because my back was hurting and my quads were burning from not being used to this running style. My quads are stiff today because of of it, but like all new workouts, you are always stiff the next couple of days after using new muscle groups.

I was also using a Heart rate monitor to keep track of my bpm. I kept my hr at or around 140-150bpm the whole way, as the chi method is supposed to be a more relaxed run with less effort. And to my surprise even with all the stopping, I managed 30:00min on my 5k run.

I will give this chi running a few more tries to see if it really works.

So with less effort, running more efficiently and running on my mid foot? Who knows? My running may get better. .....Only time will tell.

Oh! and I may have to do more core workouts to help out my back on my runs. ;)

You can find out more about Chi Running here... http://www.chirunning.com/shop/home.php


:)

No comments: