Thursday, January 10, 2008

Shock and Ouch! Pain, BIG PAIN!!

I didn't get a chance to get out to the rec center today to meet up with the rec director, I forgot I had 2 doctors appointments today and didn't have time to to get out to the rec center to talk with the rec director, so I'll get out there tomorrow if I can. In the mean time......

Ooooooooooouuuuuch!!!.....I went to see the PT today and got my shock wave treatment done....$1200 for the 2 feet paid up front, and if the treatment doesn't work ( no guarantees) it's money out out of my pocket. I will submit the bill to my benefits plan at work and hope they cover it so I can get my money back, I had my mom spot me with a cheque for $800. and the other $400 I paid out of my LTD cheque that came yesterday but is needed money to pay my mortgage later this month. If I don't get the money back? I will be short on the mortgage!! Plus my mom will not get her money back for a long while.

So I get to the clinic and the PT checks me out, wants to here my story, has me fill out questionnaires, then runs me though what this shock wave treatments all about, basically he tells me, it re injures the PF area that is injured and breaks up scare tissue with a shock wave pulse, something like ultra sound that hits the area directly hard like a jack hammer, even sounds like a jack hammer, to break up the scare tissue and to creates blood flow into the injured area so it can heal on it's own over time. Man does it hurt!! ... it feels like one of those joke hand buzzers that zap you but a lot lower frequency sound and 1000 more times intense.

He did my left foot first, shocking the area of my pain the size of a 3 inch circle for a total of 2min and 15 seconds, and it felt like an eternity, I was gritting my teeth, yelping taking deep breaths shaking and by the end of the 2min 15 sec, I was sweating like I just ran a 5K, then he did my other foot a few mins later when I was ready.

He started my right foot and after about 1 min I just couldn't take it the pain! I had him stop which was OK, he said I could stop if I need to, but then it would have to start up again until the whole time was used,( 2min and 15 sec.) When I was ready to go after my 10 sec break from pain, he continued and I bared down again until he was done. OUCH!

I have to go back 2 more times over the next 2 weeks, I am not looking forward to it. Right now my feet are achy and red( lots of blood flow) puffy and hot. The PT said I could ice if I wanted, so I am.

Hopefully tomorrow I wil be able to walk enough to get to the pool and have a nice easy swim. and of coure talk to the Rec center Director about the Diving program.

No comments: