Sunday, April 19, 2009

CN Tower stair climb

It was a Good day for Climbing stairs.

Joanne, Victoria and I got up first thing in the morning to drive down to Toronto leaving home at 4:30am. When we got to the registration area there already was a long line up. It took about 45 min for me to register and get my time card and wrist band so I can start of my climb up the stairs.

Once registered we had to go through security with metal detectors and explosive detectors, then it was of to the next line to wait our turn to go up the stairs. At the start I punched my time card and off I went. I didn't go to fast but at the same time I didn't go slow. I kept a steady pace most of the way, huffing and puffing, talk about a cardio workout. At level 60 of 140 I think? I had to stop for a breather and stretch to catch my breath and get my heart rate down, at most I stopped about 15 seconds, then off I went again. My legs were holding up and as I felt the burn in my quads I eased up again to relax my legs, all the time still pushing upward. in all I stopped about 3 times to catch my breath and by the time I got to the top my throat was so dry I couldn't swallow.

I made it to the top, 1776 steps in 19:29 then another 4 flites of steps to come out here at the observation deck.


I was surprised with my time, because half way through the climb I really didn't think I would make it up, and thought I would have to walk the rest of the way to finish with a slow time, not that I was racing? I just wanted to give a good effort to make it to the top in a reasonable time, so I just dug down and kept going, and thinking at the same time my heart would explode at any second....The average times to climb I was told is between 25 and 45 min, so I think I did well.

Today I'm surprised because after all the burn in my quads in the stair climb yesterday I'm not at all sore and plan on doing a 10km run today.... I guess all this base training is working for me.




Some pictures of the day...


As we drove into the city. A shot of the tower from front street a mile out from the tower.

In line waiting to register.
My WWF shirt from the back with my time of 19:29
View form the glass floor looking down the base of the CN tower A ground level shot of the CN Tower looking up.
Me at the base of the CN tower. View looking North to Barrie, Do you see my house?
The View of Toronto Business towers dwarfed from the height we are looking down at them.Close up view of my car in the parking lot a 1/2 mile away. (black one in the middle of pic)







: )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT JOB!
I've done the Empire State Building Run Up years ago. Very little light and no windows for fresh air.
I am planning to do the CN Tower climb in Oct 09. Questions: 1) Are there any flat area between the flights of stairs? Since this is a real tower and not a building I am wondering if this climb is all stairs and not flats. 2) Is there any fresh air or air conditioning in the stairs in the CN Tower?
Cheers!

Henry Buck
NYC

Josef said...

Hi Henry,

Yes there are landings to rest on, but it's very tight. You go up a flight of 20 steps more or less at a time to each landing and turn and go up again all the way up. they have medic volies at about every 5 or so flights on the landings. It is very tight and steep all the way up with no windows. It does get very humid in there with all the people climbing. NO air conditioning. It's well worth doing. I'm planing to climb it again next year with my daughter.

Joe.

Brian said...

Amazing!!

I live near the CN tower and lately I'm looking at it and I know it can be done. Does it cost anything to use the stairs?

Josef said...

No it doesn't cost except you need to raise 75$ for charity when you sign on to do the climb. if you don't raise the full amount or you don't get any donations when you sign up you can pay the 75$ as your own donation for charity tax deductable.