Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Going back to work and .....

Going back to work at this time is all my idea, I told my surgeon when I saw him last week I wanted to go back to work, I insisted that I wanted to go back and asked for the OK and a note to go back the 17th, but there was a snag with my LTD?

I Went to my Family doctor as per request by my LTD agent to get another note stating I can go back to work right away on the 17th, because the other note was to vague as to my ability's, so as to say i'm able to work full time hours and can manage my duty's, rather then going back to work on reduced hours and build up my work week, as they want me to. I told my agent that going back part time was not an option for me, as it would cost me to much money to drive to work and back (over and hour both ways ) for a shortened shift with only being paid for the time worked? That I was ready to work full time.

So I got the news I'm going back to work on Monday after being off from work for 9 months.

This is good and bad.

It is good because I want to go back to work and being Easter the following weekend I have a shortened work week for the first two weeks back.

Bad because I lied to the doctor about being ok to go back, but I had to!!!

If I don't go back now, I won't be able to race at Disney 70.3 or any of my planned races for that matter! I can't justify being off work and being able to do a race, albeit doing it hurt, my foot is not going to get any worse if I race?

I know it sounds stupid, but doing a race is totally different from being on my feet all day at work? I can stand the few hours of being on my feet for the sake of doing a race knowing it's over and I don't have to do it again, unlike working having to go back daily for a full 8 hours, five day's a week.

I want to move on!!

So I told the Doctor I'm a lot better, I want to go back to work, and I can manage my job with what pain I have.

There are a few reasons why?

I can't afford to lose my job over doing a race while being off work. The training I have been doing while I've been off work is/was ok as per Doctors approval and encouragement.

I could have told the doctor the truth and say it hurts to much to do my job and stay off longer, to give it more time to heal and not do my planned races, but the real reason is I can't afford to stay on LTD any longer which only pays 70% of my wage minus taxes and deductions any longer.

If I stay off work longer then one year I would lose my position at work.
If I stay off for a full two years, I lose my job and get a reduced pension of only 50% of my wage, for the rest of my life, so I can't afford to be pensioned off, that wouldn't pay the bills either.
It's Sort of a catch 22. I'm damned if I do! and damned if I don't

I'd rather go back to work so I can pay my bills!! bare the pain and with time it might get better. And to continue on the best I can with training and enjoy my planed races.


I have my Orthotic inserts!! I'll manage!!

No comments: