Wednesday, September 5, 2012

13 hours in Emerge with mom

13 hours in Emerge until my mom got a room......

Finally my mom is all comfy in a room in the Hospital. 

Oh but wait?!! lets start from the beginning. Last Friday my mom 75 years young, fell going to try her first fitness class in her life at the community center in her retirement community where she lives. Well before getting to class, actually walking up the stairs to class, she fell on the steps and broke her humours in two places...OK your all caught up.

Yep, my mom fell again and with her broken arm and weaken state she couldn't get up! .....

Last night after Joanne was playing phone tag with my sister in-law about mom not answering the phone, Joanne and Melissa my daughter went to check on my mom in the evening about 7-8pm and found my mom laying on the kitchen floor bloodied and not able to get up after losing her balance while trying to make a cup of tea after the health nurse left in the morning, and yes the kettle was still plugged in! fortunately it didn't burn the house down with mom.

Joanne called 911 and went to the hospital having Melissa drop her off knowing she will be there a while, so Melissa came home.

When I got home from work last night after 1 am, I found a note saying my mom was in hospital. I check with Victoria as she was still up, what happened? All she knew as she was at work and was texting with Joanne was that mom went to the hospital and she was waiting for a call from Joanne to pick her up! So I told Victoria I'll go check instead.

 I  went to hospital, found Joanne and mom in acute emerge area then sat with Joanne and my mom who was laying in a bed dosing off and on while on an IV morphine drip.

My mom had already been in x-ray and had blood and urine work done by the time i got there and we had to wait to get x-rays and test results back so the Doctor could decide to admit her, which he did when he got around to us, at around 5am.

Joanne and I went home after that, caught a few hours sleep, then went  to moms house to pick up some things she wanted and got back to the hospital around 1pm to find her all comfy and looking better in her room that she got into just before we arrived. 

While we were there the Doctor came in and talked to mom while doing an exam and to gather some info about what happened and said mom will be here a few days to recover. We stayed a while longer then finally left mom to rest.


No comments: